I shall not sneak because I am a man: What this blog is all about

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I was at Lenana School between 1978 and 1983 (first form to sixth form). It was a fascinating time when so many changes were taking place and I have always known that there was a story to tell there. But always I hesitated, remembering how we were told in first form to sing and repeat many times, “I will not sneak because I am a man.” I always write too honestly and so did I fear deep in my subconcioousness that I was sneaking? Albeit many years later. As bizarre as that seems, I suspect so.

Then the other day I came across some recollections of the time and was horrified at how the writer had gotten some of the key details wrong mainly because they were juniors at the time (no offence intended). That was the day I realized that mine was a story that I just had to tell. Hence the birth of this blog.

Blogs are wonderful tools because they allow the full participation of others in the comments area thus quickly building up a rich pool of facts and information. It is my hope that this is exactly what this blog will grow to be. I also hope that we will be able to extend to the time long before me and the time long after, and hopefully up to the present time.

I have no doubt on my mind that Lenana School was an extraordinary place in those days but I will try my best to be blunt and tell it as it was.

Changerians have always been an odd lot and hopefully even spouses will be able to understand their men better when they fully understand what happened in the six highly impressionable years they spent at Lenana. And I hope all those who went to this great school will also be able to understand themselves much better.

Post 1: What this blog is all about
Post 2: I was laughed at on my first day in Lenana
Post 3: Eric Ayodo's side step
Post 4: Lenana Mean Maroon 1st XV 1978

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea to start this blog,Chris.

Even better that we can now post comments. It has not beeen possible since you started.

Now looking forward to daily visits to nostalgia.

Sam Kamau