Part 11: Soccer

Friday, July 18, 2014

Third term 1982 was extremely busy. All soccer-playing sixth formers had gone into hibernation to prepare for their final exams and I was elected Soccer captain.

There was this annual Starehe Boys Founder’s day cup where we had faced their school soccer side for decades. Since I joined 1st form we had never won that cup. We had gotten beaten every year and once we had escaped with a draw.

I was determined to bring the cup to Lenana although I knew the formidable challenge I had before me. I also knew the positive “political” impact it would have on my future personal ambitions.

We would not have had a better soccer master that year. Odhiambo “Pee” who also happened to be the Kirk housemaster and was also an excellent Geography teacher. He had replaced Opiyo (history) and he understood soccer and was always very critical. Together we devised a strategy weeks ahead of the Starehe game. We would crowd the mid field with more players and frustrated their play there and then rely on quick counter attacks to score. We had some good young players who were playing at this level for the first time. However our big star was Kamau H. of Tom Mboya who was a year behind me. Over the years we had had a few ball dribblers at Changes, most notably Anthony Ndungu (1978 soccer captain and lead singer of the school band). But Kamau was in a class of his own. It was said that he had grown up playing soccer in Tanzania but the man was just magical with a soccer ball and could dribble his way right through any defense.

We went for morning jogs both for stamina and to build up our team spirit and morale. We also practiced quick counter attacks. Both were to prove critical in the game.

Odhiambo the soccer master suggested one last change that I initially resisted. He suggested that I move from the mid field to start playing striker. To my surprise in the build-up games before Starehe it worked and I actually scored a few goals.

There was a huge surprise waiting for me on match day that caused us to change the starting line-up. Sixth formers joined us at the last minute. Star players like Otieno Jango, Nesbitt Wesonga and Nigger Odhiambo showed up and I happily put them in the team. I had no doubt that they were fit enough and would make a difference in the grueling game we were about to face.

We arrived at Starehe and the local fans (supposed to be the most disciplined school in Kenya) jeered us. They were confident that we had come for a thrashing. If my memory serves me right Starehe scored first. We equalized soon enough and as the game progressed the Starehe fans realized that this was not going to be the walk-over they had expected. Otieno Jango towered in midfield and helped us hold our own and neutralize their strongest department. Late in the game I got a through pass from a counter attack but stopped when I heard a whistle figuring that it was for offside. I looked at the ref and I could see that the whistle had not come from him. Somebody screamed at me to continue play and I looked up to see the Starehe goalie rushing out to reduce the angle and cut me off. I tried to lob the ball over him but didn’t quite get it high enough. Still it hurtled past him into the net. GOAL! 2-1.

The next few minutes seemed like hours as we held off Starehe. But at the very last minute Starehe were awarded a penalty. Our goal keeper Fritz Achola stretched confidently waiting for the penalty to be taken. Fritz had come to Lenana in fifth form that very year. A quiet guy who didn’t talk much but proved to be one of the best goalkeepers I have ever seen at Changes. His reflexes were amazing. The penalty kicker kicked the ball hard aiming at the top right hand corner of the goal. We watched as the ball went over the bar, but right under it (just in-case) was Fritz’s rather large hand. We had WON!! I walked up to receive the cup from the then Vice president Mwai Kibaki. I realized a little late that he was holding onto the cup and not releasing it, for the photos and felt a little stupid as I waited holding the pose. Finally he released it and I lifted up the Starehe cup. The few fans we had travelled with were ecstatic. Headmaster Ndau Kanyi was there beaming in delight.

We were delirious as we headed back to school. We had done it! We had accomplished what had not been done in a long time.

(see Facebook page with discussion and comments about this article HERE)

0 comments: