Part 8; It Went To My Head

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Kenya combined schools versus Scorpions encounter at the RFUEA grounds in 1982 was a fascinating encounter. Above everything else it confirmed the greatness of that 1982 side.
We had no less than 11 players in that combined schools team from our super ’82 squad. It was said that the whole team should have just been Lenana only that it would not then have been combined schools side and so a handful of players from other schools were sprinkled on the team for appearances sake. If I am not wrong the Mean Maroon players on the side were; Wesonga, Pj, Otieno, Kimwele, Ayoki, Dablo, Kavila, Maleche, Spike Ogot, Okello Aliker, George Mwangi. The whole back-line was Lenana save for Jeff Koinange of St Marys (yes, the same Jeff Koinange who is today a celebrity media personality) and a blind side winger from Alliance High School (can’t quite remember his name but it might have been Anampiu).
I was voted the best combined schools player which naturally went straight to my head as I shall explain shortly. Hardly surprising when you consider the kind of quality players who featured in that game that I was up against for the award.
To keep the game interesting Scorpions were instructed to occasionally kick away possession and give the school boys a chance to run around with the ball. They did this at the beginning of the match but promptly stopped as the first half progressed and it became clear that this was not going to be the usual run around with schoolboys.
You will remember that most of the team had had prior experience playing against club sides. And so none of us were intimidated by the fact that we were playing the top rugby players in the country. Speedy Akatsa, Jimmy Owino (RIP), Jacko Omaido, Walter Omaido (RIP) etc. Personally I had already had a taste of playing several matches for Impala during the previous school holidays in the top Kenya cup for clubs.
We won most of our own balls in the scrum and lineout. Jim Ayoki as usual would win every loose ball situation he was involved in amongst much bigger and heavier opponents. The instinctive partnership of Wesonga and Otieno was intact in the half-back positions and most times when the ball got to Kimwele the crowd would be on its’ feet as he surprised Akatsa and company with his high speed side-steps. You can see how difficult and unfair it must have been singling out just one player in this game for an award.
I believe what may have given me the edge was my tackling which that day was out of this world. In one incident captured in a set of photos speedy Akatsa made a deep run and had just started diving for the try when I took him in mid air both of us landing in the grass off the pitch and safely away from the try area. Those photos were in a magazine published by Chris Onsotti (RIP) (Quins) which I somehow managed to misplace (or were they stolen?) over the years in my frequent movements. In another incident I took a high ball with Scorpions players breathing down my neck and limited options and called out a mark. The crowd gasped and I think they did that because they did not expect schoolboys to know WTF that was. You need to catch the ball and mark the spot with your foot and you must be stationary. You cannot call out a mark when you are in motion. The ref can then award you what is similar to a penalty pushing the opposition at least 10 yards back and allowing a harassed player room to either kick for touch or pass the ball to continue play.
In the end Scorpions won the game narrowly but the small excited crowd gave us a standing ovation. Dave Anderson was beaming in the stands his eyes shining through his specs with pride. I received a big Kenyan wildlife photography book with the signatures of all the Scorpions players and started thinking that I may be better off trying out for the All Blacks or something.
Most of you will know that when something goes to your head it is basically all over. It means that you stop learning because you are no longer teachable and your relationship with the rest of the team which is crucial in any team sport just goes to the dogs.
Back at Kirk house with the book firmly clutched in my arms I reflected on the journey that had led me here (shared in my previous post).
Fortunately for me it all came crashing down and I was brought back down to earth in a match against a school side on Sterlings. I joined the line on an overlap and went over the try line. Instead of putting the ball down I attempted to do some precise measurements with my steps so that I could place the ball at the exact centre spot (LOL!!). Somebody knocked the ball out of my hands and the try was lost. 6 points gone just like that. It is NOT that we needed the try but Anderson was livid and other members of the team, most notably Nesbitt Wesonga and George Mwangi made it clear to me that what I had done was totally unacceptable. Who T. F. did I think I was!!!
I felt bad but more importantly I came back to my senses.

0 comments: