Who was greater 1982 rugby champs or 1977 Eric Shirley winners?

Tuesday, July 1, 2014


I have to admit that I have personally been taken aback by the massive interest in that fabulous 1982 side that I have seen here in this popular social media platform. Some have even began to compare the ‘82 side to the 1977 Eric Shirley winning side. 

In my view there is no comparison, the 1977 side achieved the impossible and are in a class of their own (and it looks like forever so). I was NOT even in Lenana yet when they lifted that club trophy that August sato in ’77, but I am a permanent student of history albeit one who is willing to be corrected or proved wrong. And I am also saying this having played in a match that featured the full ’82 side (christened Moss Moss) in ‘81 where we beat a strong Nondies II side at Parklands before some very shocked Mzungus.

Memories are fading as the years are slipping by fast and so I have came up with my usually crazy ideas and intend to tell the 1982 story. Hopefully somebody else will tell the 1977 story (I would love to read it).
Starting in my next post, I will attempt to put down what I can remember about magic maroon 1982 before it fades kabisa.

0 comments: