Kirk people I remember who left in 1978

Sunday, September 30, 2012

You really cannot avoid talking about characters in a story like this one and Kirk 78 had quite some characters. I will talk about the ones who left Lenana in 1978.

In sixth form we had an Asian guy whom I believe was doing double maths in his combination called Desai. Was rarely seen at house practices and was almost always in his study. He had come to Lenana in fifth form. There was Thairu built like a tank and therefore impossible to neck-tackle. A speedy winger who was very exciting to watch for Mean Maroon. Ayodo (E.O) whom I had the honour of playing rugby with later at Impala club. I really admired his “torpedo” kicks for touch which I saw for the first time in ’78 and If I ever became a good kicker for touch this is where the inspiration came form. Coach (Wachira Waruru) our wise head of house who was extremely fast in 100 metres. Angawa the deputy head of house that I have already spoken about at length in an earlier post. Ombima was doing sciences but would always draw accurate and hilarious cartoons and caricatures and stick them up on the house notice board. The most memorable I remember was the one he did after we had beaten Mumia in a tense seniors rugby final. It went up about an hour after the final whistle (I kid you not). An amazing guy. Incidentally we rabbles loved him best in those days because he was an active member of Christian Union and never lifted a finger against any of us. Ganase was a great rugby player and hilarious in the house.

There were a host of fourth formers. Ichangi the lady’s man and with good looks to boot. Chelogoi a tall guy who reminded me of a panther ready to pounce, a Mwariga who was very different from his other famous bros in many ways. Lukalo who was a great inspiration in forcing me to develop and perfect my rugby tackling skills as early as first form. Choge a guy with a dark complexion who could make your life extremely dark if you ended up on the wrong side of him. A Gitata who loved to smile and went elsewhere for his fifth form (He had 2 other bros who passed through Kirk during my time).

My sincere apologies to those I forgot. It was such a long time ago…

0 comments: