My very first day at "Changes"

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My first day at Lenana reporting in the evening and two familiar faces were more than a little reassuring. We had landed in Kirk with Chris Ngovi (later to be widely known as Slade) and then there was Freddie Ochieng who was already a second former. I went to the same primary school with both (Lavington Primary).

I had no idea what to expect but Slade kept on reminding me to brace myself for some serious bullying. Freddie introduced me to the other second formers who already looked menacing enough. Especially “Jackman” who clearly just couldn’t wait to get his hands on the new arrivals. But what was even more reassuring was the arrival of J. Nabwera all the way from Lugard, just to welcome me. He was a sixth former and after exchanging some brief pleasantries he went into that room that I would learn to terribly dread in the next few days—the Pres’ comm. Yep that place where sixth formers in the house had their tea. I have no idea what he said to them (which I hope to find out one day soon) but I guess it had something to do with the unfortunate family events that had preceded my admission to “Changes” and how they were bound to affect me emotionally (just speculating).

First formers on the first day generally look very confused and I guess that word describes me pretty well on that memorable first day especially when we went into the dining hall and were served with spaghetti which must have been deliberate to smoke out those of us who didn’t have a clue what it was (LOL, just kidding). My problem was that I usually ate the stuff with a spoon at home and so I had major problems using a fork and a knife and once or twice put the knife inside my mouth which proved to be extremely entertaining to those on the table. Actually there was loud laughter all round. Including from the first former seated opposite me whom I felt should have been more sympathetic, Eddie Memba Muriuki who expertly rolled the stuff around his fork like they had been taught at Nairobi primary.

Julius Weche added;

Hee hee... That is why us guys from Nairobi Primary had no problems on the first meal at Lenana School. But it was terrible for those who came from up-country, who had never even held a fork or knife. Can you believe that the current kids in Lenana do NOT even use fork and knife? I was describing this to Brian, a current form 3 student and he thought I was lying. Suffice it to say I now have to teach him how to use these utensils at home... Thanks, "Jaha".

I think it happened over 10 years ago! Even the process of laying table and many other cultural things we did - that have helped us be who we are today are GONE. It is painful being a father in Changes nowadays - bearing in mind what privileges we enjoyed then.

0 comments: