The Nairobi International Show

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Weeks before the annual Nairobi International show you could sense the excitement building up quickly in the school. It was all that the second formers talked about in third term during the compulsory after lunch siesta before going back up-school for the afternoon lessons.

At first it really puzzled me why there was so much excitement over something that would happen only on one day, the Saturday when all students were given leave out to attend the show. I found it hard to imagine the boys trooping around all the different mainly boring agricultural stands. Later I was to discover that all the action was always centred around just a few stands, actually about two where most guys would troop in to drink themselves silly.

All kind of elaborate plans and operations with military precision were dreamed up and executed. For example some guys would report to school by 6:30 go in for supper and answer to their names in the roll call that followed but then sneak out and go back to the show ground shortly after. Of course it helped that the show grounds were fairly close to the school at Jamuhuri Park. In chapel the following day (Sunday) after the show you would always notice the empty seats as well as the red blood shot eyes.

In first form I saw the heavy price many paid for the sake of the show. The Kirk housemaster then, Mr Foreman suspended at least two boys in 1978 over their activities during the show. Sadly I can’t remember who they were or what forms they were in, but it seems people never learnt or were prepared to pay whatever price necessary to have their fun during the show. Interestingly I never went to the show myself in all the six years I was at Lenana preferring instead to take in a movie in town or visit relatives within the city instead. I am told I missed a lot.

0 comments: